Sometime around last week or somewhere in there, I came home from school as usual. This means a lot of different things. Firstly, I spend too much time eating when I get home and not enough time doing homework or reading for AP Geography or working on math or studying for Biology! Also, the Hawaii trip has been distracting me from my schoolwork, so don't expect me to talk about it much for awhile after this post.
I also spend too much time writing. I do this at lunch at school, too, not to mention on the weekends and on long car rides. Right now I'm starting to draft ideas for NaNoWriMo; that is, National Novel Writing Month. It doesn't start until November 1st, but I already know that I'm going to write about band. How typical. Can you tell what my favorite class is?
Here's an excerpt:
At lunch that day, I told Sammy more about the band trip when she came in. I had just gotten to the part about the newly-added color guard when I realized something.
“Sammy! I just thought of this just now… what if some of the cheerleaders go out for color guard??!!”
She and I stared at each other for a minute in shocked silence.
“Well, they’d be annoying you guys out of your minds, I suppose. And of course that would ruin most everything…”
“Nooooo,” I moaned. “I don’t want to have to drag cheerleaders all over the island of Oahu, especially on what’s SUPPOSED to be a band trip.”
“Yeah, they’d probably all just be like, ‘Let’s go hang out with those hot surfers and ditch the band!’ and be just really stupid.”
“Exactly. And that bothers me even here at the home football games, let alone in airports, on long flights, and on the beach.”
“Yup. Well, that’s kind of just how they are, man…” And Sammy embarked on a long, detailed rant about why cheerleaders could be worthless people if you didn’t know them well.But anyway, I tend to waste a lot of time when I come home from school, and this causes problems. At the start of the school year in August, I was staying up until 8 or 9 p.m. on weekdays, and now I'm getting the delayed effects with this cold I caught. But now I have a better handle on things and am getting to bed at the more reasonable hour of 8 or 8:30 p.m.
BUT, now we must proceed to the incident that occurred last week when I got home as normal. I was eating my ever-long snack when my mom came up from our unfinished basement. This is where my dad has all of his electronics set up (his hobby is making short films and videos) and where we keep the printer. It's a nice printer, although it doesn't do color or photos or anything fancy like that. But when she comes up she hands me a piece of printer paper and says, "Look at that! The printer ruined the music!" And I realize that it's supposed to be music printed on staff lines, but either the computer or the printer messed something up; because the notes- the music notes!- turned out as BOXES! Little rectangular boxes! See???
![]() |
| Box-notes! Photo by me. |

No comments:
Post a Comment