![]() |
This may sound odd, but if you think about it, there are always people who really love band. We practice more than most, attend nearly every band function there is, and listen every minute of band. And spend the summer doing marching band. Good stuff.
Over time, a lot of people have amassed hordes of band personality tests, memes, and that sort of stuff. It amuses me to read these. They can be horribly inaccurate or else disturbingly correct (for some individuals). My friends complain that trumpets are loud and obnoxious and never stop talking (very true of one certain guy who literally WILL NOT be quiet when we're not marching), and cause a loss of water breaks during field show practice.
Goodness. If I ever did any of that, do excuse me, friends.
The other thing that bothers my non-brass friends is spit valves. When I go to talk to them before band class, I'm careful not to empty those in the front of the room, where the woodwinds sit.
I think that all this loudness and such is indeed one iteration of a trumpet's personality, but also, trumpets nearly always play a key part of every piece in concert bands. Currently, in Esprit de Corps, we play a loud fanfare kind of thing at the start, which must stay on tempo and, of course, is what everyone hears. Listen for yourself:
UPDATE: I HAVE A LIVE AUDITION FOR WIND ENSEMBLE IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS AND I HAVE TO PLAY PART OF ESPRIT DE CORPS AND BAND-A-PALOOZA IS TONIGHT. SOMEONE HELP ME. I NEED TO EXTEND THE NUMBER OF HOURS IN A DAY BY ABOUT A BILLION AND A HALF. THANK YOU. :) I'll be fine.
What was I saying? Oh yes, about trumpets. Although we can be loud and do a lot of showing off, we play the fanfares and melody, too. Yep.
![]() |


No comments:
Post a Comment