Monday, September 5, 2016

Blog Challenge *Day 16*

16. What are your views on mainstream music?
Uhhh... what's mainstream? Is that pop? Yes? Ok.
Well I can tell you when it comes to music, I'm thoroughly stuck in the 80's. Really. 
Here's what my favorite Spotify playlist consists of (we'll do the Song [artist, album] thing again):
1. Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes, 90125 Deluxe Version)
2. Hold On (Yes, 90125 Deluxe Version)
3. It Can Happen (Yes, 90125 Deluxe Version)
4. Pride/In The Name of Love (U2, 18 Singles)
5. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (U2, 18 Singles)
6. One (U2, 18 Singles)
7. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (U2, 18 Singles)
8. With or Without You (U2, The Joshua Tree)
9. Running to Stand Still (U2, The Joshua Tree)
10. Bullet the Blue Sky (U2, The Joshua Tree)
11. Everybody Wants To Rule The World (Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big Chair)
12. Driven To Tears (The Police, Zenyatta Mondatta)
13. Hungry For You (The Police, Ghost in the Machine)
14. Re-Humanise Yourself (The Police, Ghost in the Machine)
15. Darkness (The Police, Ghost in the Machine)
16. Spirits in the Material World (The Police, Ghost in the Machine)
17. Beat It (Michael Jackson, Thriller)
18. Thriller (Michael Jackson, Thriller)
19. Celebration (Kool & The Gang, Celebrate)
Now let's see the original release dates for all of those:
1. 1983
2. 1983
3. 1983
4. 1984
5. 2000
6. 1991
7. 2004
8. 1987
9. 1987
10. 1987
11. 1985
12. 1980
13. 1981
14. 1981
15. 1981
16. 1981
17. 1982
18. 1982
19. 1980
Now let's analyze those statistics...
I made you a fancy graph. You're welcome.
84% of my music is from the 80's!!! Which of course means I'm not a sucker for pop. I know a lot of/most of the songs on the Spotify current hits playlist, but I don't like most of them. The super trendy sort of music doesn't tend to hit the spot for my liking. It's usually junk. At least The Police sang about important issues and stuff. It was actually meaningful music back in the day, not just love songs. Not to say those didn't exist in the 80's, but back then they were actually sort of bearable. 
Yea. I generally don't like popular mainstream music. It's about weird stuff too. Love and junk. Some are ok, others aren't, a select few are good. Mostly I try to avoid it.
The one exception I'll make is for Coldplay. I LOVE LOVE LOVE nearly all of their albums, including the one that just came out in December, so I guess that's more popular than some stuff I listen to. 
But other than Coldplay- I am very stuck in the 80's when it comes to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment