Friday, November 20, 2015

10 Ways to Geek Out About Band...Over the Holidays!

To start off: like Danielle says, you should start preparing for the next holiday the moment the current one ends. That way, you'll have more time to get into the holiday spirit and celebrate the holiday before it's actually the holiday! If that didn't quite make sense, I'm saying that you'll have more time to get into the holiday spirit if you start preparing RIGHT AFTER the last holiday. Fun!
Anyway, I've compiled a list of things you can do to geek out over the winter holidays- especially Christmas- and make band a part of your celebrating!!! Yay band. (Have I said that enough yet?)
But let's continue to the list.
1. If you like cooking: make Christmas cookies and stuff- in the shape of your instrument. For me, this is fitting because horns- mainly French horns and bugles- have some significance to Christmas! On December 20th, you might find me in my kitchen shaping cookie dough into trumpet shapes. If not, then there's probably a fruitcake baking in the oven. Make fruitcake, too, but always brush your teeth after you eat it. Otherwise you might accidentally blow bits of dried fruit into your instrument's mouthpiece. 8(
2. If you're the crafty type (I am not so crafty as I was when I was younger): make an advent calendar, if you're in to those, and call it, "Christmas in the Band Department." Make a band room scene on a piece of paper and put instruments and stuff around it. These can be the pictures you put under the flaps, or just decorative. I've made multiple advent calendars before, but never one like this. Although, my Arabian Nights one complete with the marketplace was pretty cool:
My digital art.
I know they don't celebrate Christmas in Morocco, but I had the idea to do this advent calendar because one of my favorite horse breeds is the Arabian. But back to the list.
If you'd rather not take the time and effort to create an advent calendar, write a holiday story with the name "Christmas in the Band Department." Or, if you don't want to do THAT, just continue with your normal life and experience Christmas in your band department. 
3. Christmas lights are good things! I bought a box the other day for my own 3-foot Christmas tree that I decorate all by myself every year. Observe:
My photo. See Seabiscuit under there?
When I got home I was so excited to use them on my tree this year that I started singing to the tune of "Jingle Bells". The song that I sang all afternoon while I put up the tree went like this: 
"OH, Christmas lights, Christmas lights, Christmas lights galore! 
Buy them now so you won't be wishing you had more! 
OH, Christmas lights, Christmas lights, Christmas lights galore! 
Buy them now so you won't be wishing you had more!
Verse 2:
I went to the store one day,
To buy some nails and keys, (I went to Home Depot with my dad)
When I saw the Christmas lights,
Wrapped up on the trees..."
Yes. It was loud, obnoxious, and ridiculous. But funny at the same time.
The lesson to be learned from this is that Christmas lights are a good thing, and you can hardly have too many of them. So, when you're decorating your Christmas tree, pile on the lights!
4. Ask for new instruments for Christmas (or Hanukah). 
But only if you really need or want them. And have the money for them. 
5. Decorate your family's Christmas tree (or your own, if you can get one) with ornaments of your instrument. I am going to do this, but first I must make the ornaments. It's a good thing that I like making Christmas ornaments!
6. Invite your band buddies over during the holidays and have a holiday band party, complete with holiday movies, instrument cookies (as described above), and time to play holiday music together. 
7. Prepare for your holiday band concert like there's no tomorrow. Then you'll really be ready!
8. On Christmas morning, play your holiday songs from band and wake up your whole family. But they'll be grateful for the music. You can also turn on all the Christmas lights if you want, to add extra ambiance! ;)
9. Spend Christmas day learning any Christmas songs that you don't already know, and playing them loudly. When you aren't opening presents, that is.
10. Form a quartet or other small ensemble with your band friends. Learn some fun holiday songs and, instead of caroling, go around the neighborhood playing your songs for people. This would also be a good way to raise money for band trips! 
Yep. That's pretty much how I am going to spend my winter holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to you all! (Even if it's a little early, but who cares.)

No comments:

Post a Comment