Friday, January 29, 2016

Assigned Thing

We as students in Honors English 9 have been assigned to "write a post that starts 'Dear ________' and fill in that person's name" (words of Mr. Parker, the teacher). Apparently it must be a person fairly famous in their field and someone that is somewhat related to the subject of our blog. Since I cannot think of anyone who is famous for being in a marching band, I write (and dedicate) this post to Daisy Ridley, who was cast as Rey in the recently-released Episode VII of Star Wars. Sorry. Can't think of anyone else.
Dear Daisy Ridley, 
I am not a significant person. I'm a high school girl with a blog for an English class and who loves band. 
I'm just another person that hasn't written you (or anyone) fan mail. One point of this letter to you is to tell you that there are lot of hidden fans out there; we just don't speak up. We are the introverts, the people without social media, the people that haven't bothered to reach out into the world, but, rather, observe it as it comes. This totally includes me, as I have an outdated flip phone that only texts and calls, and no desire to excessively peruse the Internet.
My being an introvert and a normal fear of mockery probably prevents me from reaching out to people, but I do have a group of great friends that couldn't be better for me. We are all in school band together. I play trumpet. My summer family is my high school marching band. The rest of my trumpet section very kindly got me started playing brass last summer. This December we're going as a band to Hawaii for the 75th anniversary Pearl Harbor Parade.
More stuff about me that's important in my life is music, horses, Star Wars (why I'm writing to you), Legos, and the like. Things I enjoy are marching band, Converse sneakers, aviator sunglasses, summer, sleep, good music, movies, shopping (not too much), and reading. I appreciate the upper-classmen in marching band and my band teacher for having infinite patience with me while I learned trumpet. I also look forward to hearing our high school's Varsity Jazz band play their awesome music. It's all great. I don't appreciate annoying guys, excessive loud blasts of noise out of the trombone section, and waking up early for school. Can't I just stay here in my soft bed and watch Star Wars?! Things I don't understand include hashtags, time, and the lack of girls that play brass instruments. Things that exist but aren't things include (but aren't limited to) Twinkies and Twinkie makers, Nose Basketball, Liquid Trust, and really, truly, completely playable drum t-shirts (see all of these here at Sparknotes). Things I learned today include multiple characteristics of mathematical functions, how NOT to entertain your classmates while trying to memorize poems (don't draw horses for them), and that Oscar Issac is from Guatemala (while looking at IMDb for you, actually).  
My constant conundrum when I go to buy a trumpet
All 3 trumpet pictures via http://www.cannonballmusic.com
Not that any of that is important. 

This is supposed to be about you. To be totally honest, I was a bit surprised but more than equally delighted with the fact that The Force Awakens had Rey as a key character and the first female protagonist we've seen in a highly-anticipated movie for ages. I think you did a good job as Rey. The only complaint I have about The Force Awakens is that the plot's the same as in the first movies, but that's nothing to do with you, that's my complaint to Disney. 
Anyhow.
I look up to you as a cool talented person, another actress we all know, and an integral part of the Star Wars family- cast, crew, fans, and all. 
All I really have to say to you is, you've broken into the film industry and will always be remembered as Rey. I wish you a successful rest of your film career. Perhaps someday I'll see you in the film industry if and/or when I possibly become a sound engineer, director of photography, set designer or the like. Etc. 
If you ever do happen to find this, you're amazing. And if not, that's OK. I'm simply yelling my thoughts into a void that will never be full. And it can stay empty. Just keep doing what you are- being a great actress.
Because like they say, it's the thought that counts. I've sent my thoughts out. Now it's simply up to you (and the online world) to find them.
--Emma
P.S. Jazz is a seriously cool middle name.

No comments:

Post a Comment