Monday, March 21, 2016

What's Up With Society?! (1st Edition)

Like it or not, there are LOTS of things wrong with our American society. Someone- likely my generation- is going to have to deal with the whole mess sooner or later. Over the rest of the year I'll blog about the big problems. But at the moment I feel like talking about a milder problem: guys. 
No, boys themselves are not society's problem, despite their occasional stupid actions. The problem is that the general dating age creeps closer and closer to the younger end of the teenage years. It causes problems. 
One: it takes you away from schoolwork. For example, I could be out on a date right now if I was going out with a boy, but I'm not, and therefore I can write this and study for my math quiz and go to bed on time. This is why I have a 4.0 GPA. You can handle both dating and school at once, but it's not easy and furthermore not recommended by me.
Two: we don't really need to be dating at our age (14 and 15). At this point we hardly understand love yet. You have your whole life in front of you. There isn't a rush. The one reason I could find to break this is if you sort of start dating a good friend and end up in a nice, relaxed relationship that's fairly genuine and lasts more than 3 weeks. That's fine. But since I am not blessed with such a good friend, I'm content with not dating for the moment.
By me.
Note: Don't take these examples seriously, they're just examples. (Meaning, they're not from my real life.)
I'm unsure of why girls my age get to be so obsessed with guys. What's the big deal? To be completely honest, guys get to be completely obnoxious at this age (with only a tiny few exceptions). I wouldn't ever date most of them. And yet the popular girls worry about how they look and everything ALL THE TIME, so everyone around them gets dragged into it. I have to listen to it and be annoyed. That's not cool, and that brings about the whole popularity topic. That problem with dating at this young age is that a lot of the popular guys that the popular girls go after are not cool. They say stupid things or try to impress everyone and end up looking unbelievably stupid or are just all-around nasty. I find that when 2 of these popular people "pair off" it lasts about 3 weeks- that's being generous- and it's only done to impress. Always to impress. It's an enormous popularity contest. Yeah, they may like each other slightly, but the relationship just dissolves. Sometimes it's off looks. The "handsomest" popular guy dates the most "beautiful" popular girl. Yeah, right. I hate makeup and I don't care about reaping the benefits of it. I look fine as I am. This is a life lesson I learned from Romeo and Juliet: do not date someone solely off their looks. Also, people make a big deal out of things like homecoming and prom. Although there are benefits to going and not going: why? It's just a dance. 
Find someone whose personality compliments yours. If you're lucky, though, sometimes that comes with good looks, which is nice. Thank you kindly for that. But back to the point at hand.
WHAT is so wrong with dating someone you actually enjoy being around that maybe isn't as popular as you?! WHAT is so wrong with being single?! WHAT is up with society? WHEN did someone decide it would be a good idea to start dating for popularity?! WHY did someone ever say, "I'm dating this guy and I'm only 14!" 
WHY. I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
Nice guys are nice guys. They don't have to be popular. They like you and your personality. Everything about you. You like everything about them. YOU LIKE BEING AROUND EACH OTHER. YOUR FRIENDS DIDN'T TELL YOU TO DO IT. IT WAS YOUR CHOICE, AS IT SHOULD BE. YOU DIDN'T RUSH INTO IT. (ALL THESE REASONS ARE WHY ROMEO AND JULIET IS SOOO INFURIATING!!!!! IT MAKES ME ANGRY!!!)
Also by me. Also not an example from my life.
I'm not saying I don't have crushes. I've crushed on a lot of guys since I turned about 11- all types from actors in my old high school's musicals to major motion picture actors (not Leo DiCaprio! What was the big deal with him?!?) to loud guys with electric guitars to other guys in the marching band trumpet line (NO, of course I won't tell you who they are- eh, were!!). Crushes are fine. I have good reason to crush on the guys I do, although I hardly ever get to know them. Maybe that'll change. Maybe. Likely not.
Next complaint: there are lots of male-dominated things! Sports, music, businesses, LOTS of things. One of these is trumpet. In marching band, the only girls in the trumpets were me and my friend Elaine. All the other trumpets were guys. It REALLY bothers me that there aren't more girls in the brass section! We trumpets sit in the back row of the band, and the vast majority of the girls in band are up in the front in the clarinets and flutes. Girls, what's wrong with brass? Too intense?! Nah. It's nice and loud. :) It's okay that there aren't more girls that play brass instruments if they really don't like the sound, but traditionally it seems that the girls were in the high woodwinds and guys played everything else. Actually, even more girls played violin traditionally. I don't like that. Whatever. It just bothers me.
Again by me. But this one's a good example of lots of lives, including mine.
What? You want an explanation for all of this? ... Do you really need one? ...Yeah. I thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment