Wednesday, March 30, 2016

How To Entertain Yourself When You're Sick

Guess what: I caught another cold this past weekend. I think it was because of the finals I had to take last week (a test per day). I was up late studying and I've proven the fact that I get sick when I stay up too late multiple nights in a row. I stayed home on Monday and would have stayed yesterday, too, had I not had a band concert. It was fun as all concerts are, but the sickness tainted it a bit. Today I had to make up the 2 tests I missed on Monday. But the time on Monday was plentiful enough to make me long for things that were actually interesting to do while sick. I found some. 
1. Take note of the assignments you miss. At least write them down. Depending on how you feel, you might like to actually do some, but you don't have to. When you're sick, take it easy. (I guess this isn't fun, but it's something you should do nonetheless.)
2. Food for thought! Look at something and let your mind carry you through the thought process after that. Easy. Somehow, at some point, I wound up wondering the meaning of the word 'cosmopolitan' and learned something new. My other favorite food for thought is what the world's going to do when we run out of petroleum. That means no more plastic, peeps! More on this in a later post. 
3. Travel the world. You don't have to leave your house. Browse places you want to go in Google Maps. I looked all around the island of Oahu and through the Honolulu airport (for some reason), where I'll be in about 9 months. I also wanted to look up American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands too, but I fell asleep before I could get to those.
4. Remember happy times. I like to think about marching band, pep band, band practices, etc. Laughing at Romeo and Juliet in English class. Traveling I did with my family. Parties and end-of-year stuff long past. Conversations that have stuck with me. Things like that.
As in, I still remember all the memories. (Mine)
5. Coloring. It isn't just for little kids. Get one of those newfangled complex coloring books. All the time you have when you're sick might be the only time in your life that you have for coloring! I colored in a few sheets out of a travel-size Japan-themed book I got at Barnes and Noble a while ago.
6. Write lists. Do you assemble mental lists of things to do, things you want to buy, ideas you want to remember? Write them down. NOW. Otherwise, if you're at all like me, you're bound to forget.
7. Browse blogs. Search "(insert subject here) blogs" and find some new reading material. I read random blogs on anything I can find, pretty much. 
7.5. Window shop. Look at stuff you want to buy. Or, if you have money, buy it.
8. Stay away from binge-watching TV or movies. 1 or 2 is fine, but no more. Your eyes don't need any more strain than they usually get. That being said, don't spend the whole day traveling the world or reading blogs or shopping. Do something else away from the screen, too.
9. Write poetry or a book or a research paper. WRITE SOMETHING. I wrote a really downright long, horrible poem. It was called "Soliloquy for Brass" and I promptly shredded it to bits. But it took up time, and that was the point.
10. Sleep. Obviously, this is the best of all of these fun time-wasters.
If you're sick, get better. If you're just reading this, then... hey there. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment