I almost like making lists. I'm good at it. I organize things quite a bit, and I clean things the minute they border on getting out of hand.
So, of course, there has to be a marching band list. Here you go.
![]() |
| Les Shakos by ME! |
~EVERYTHING YOU WILL NEED FOR MARCHING BAND EVER~
STUFF FOR PRACTICE
- That musical instrument thingy. If you forget it everyone will murder you and things won't end well. Plus you won't be able to play, so you'll just be standing there awkwardly while everyone else does lip slurs.
- Mouthpiece. Even if you have above-mentioned instrument, it's useless sans mouthpiece. Always remember this bit.
- SUNSCREEN!!! Oh my GOSH, SUNSCREEN! Especially in an arid mountain environment like where we are, this is SO IMPORTANT. Over the month of June last year- about 30 days total- I had a complete tan and proceeded to become both more tan and sunburnt over the rest of the summer, since I didn't put on enough sunscreen. YOU NEED SUNSCREEN. Even if there's a shared bottle you can usually get at, have your own on hand in case it goes missing, like ours did last summer. We had a nice big bottle the first day of practice; we all used it, but then it disappeared into an instrument locker, and vanished off the face of the earth. I never saw it again. Shame on you, Jack, for losing that so quickly- but whatever. Lesson learned.
- Also- attention, wind players! You need sunscreen lip balm! This prevents embouchure sunburn, which makes it extremely painful to play. And you wouldn't want that, because it would spoil marching band. Prevent it, and wear that lip sunscreen.
- Regular Lip Balm- you'll need this for before and after practice. I've used more lip balm- both regular and sunscreen- in the past year being a wind player than I have in the prior years of my life. It'll be better than having chapped lips when you're not playing your instrument.
- Valve oil and slide grease (Maintenance Materials)- for yourself, of course, but your section will appreciate it when you have some to spare.
- Hair Ties- For tying back long hair, of course, but also to lend, or to use as slide stoppers. That's a useful purpose too. Keep a few in your case, in your pockets, and on your wrist.
- Sporty Watch- digital or analog is fine, whichever you prefer. I have a diving watch that I use, so I can dump water on myself and it's fine. May I give you some advice, though? Don't wear it under your uniform, the gauntlets get in it's way.
- Sunglasses- you want to be able to see the drum major and such without getting the sun in your eyes.
- Marching Shoes- Let's face it. Most teenagers complain that their marching shoes are uncomfortable. But the heels are shaped in a curve for a reason- to help you with your glide step. Your marching just isn't going to be the same if you don't wear the marching shoes. Just wear the shoes- blisters aren't the end of your life. The only exception I make is for people whose shoes literally rub holes in their toes- Emily, for example. But no skipping the marching shoes just because they're inconvenient. They actually help you march.
STUFF FOR PARADE DAYS
- Uniform (including marching shoes) and instrument, of course- check before you leave your house that you have all the parts of both your instrument and uniform. Also check when you're getting off the bus at the parade line-up area.
- Comfortable shoes for before and after- sometimes I'll wear street shoes to and from our high school, then change into my marching shoes before I get on the bus. I just leave the street shoes at the school. Some good types include Birkenstocks, Converse, Vans, or boat shoes. A pair with memory foam soles are nice, particularly afterwards. And no, no one will mind if you wear sock and sandals. That's actually quite stylish, to be honest. Just wear shoes that are comfortable.
- Phone- this one's a no-brainer, especially on a long bus ride.
- Sunglasses- for the bus. Stylish aviators are a plus, if that's what you like.
- WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER SO MUCH WATER
- FOOD. NEED I SAY MORE? NO. ... FOOD.
STUFF FOR BAND CAMP
- Everything mentioned above for practice.
- The comfortable shoes I told you to have on parade days.
- Your phone
- A lunch, even if you plan to go out to Subway or something
- Probably a hat, preferably in the school colors.
- Extra socks. Trust me on this one.
- A first aid kit with Bandaids at least for blisters, probably some Advil, and whatever else you might need.
- Marching shoes. You need to practice your glide step on the field turf. It's a different feel than what you're used to.
More? I can't think of more right at the moment. Maybe later. But that's really all you need for marching band.

No comments:
Post a Comment